Marble cakes are my favorite and this time around I took an easy egg-free butter-free recipe and did a marble effect with it. The cake was hard on the sides when freshly baked but as it cooled down (after 2 hrs) it was moist and really tasty. The chocolate does do magic to this cake, you can also make it plain with just custard powder. We totally loved it for our evening snack, it is super light and a good treat.
Recipe Source - Sharmi altered and modified
(read tips before baking the cake)
Whole wheat flour/ atta - 1 and 1/4 cup
Plain flour/ all purpose flour - 1/4 cup
Custard powder - 3/4 cup (I used vanilla flavored)
Cocoa powder - 2 tbsp
Baking Soda - 1 and 1/4 tsp
Milk - 1 and 1/2 cup
Oil - 3 tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp (skip if using vanilla flavored custard powder)
Sugar - 3/4 cup (I used demerara sugar)
- Sift both flours, baking soda and custard powder, set aside. Line a baking tin with parchment paper/ grease it well. Pre-heat oven to 180 C
- In a large mixing bowl add the milk, oil, vanilla extract (if you are using) and add the sugar and mix till it dissolves.
- Start adding the dry ingredients little by little until it forms a smooth batter
- Now take 1/4 of the batter in a small bowl and add the cocoa powder to it and mix well, make sure that it is well combined without lumps. The batter should be thick, don't worry
- In the prepared tin start dropping dollops of the cocoa batter and alternate with the custard batter until all the batter is tipped in. Now with a knife form swirls
- Place the baking tin in the pre-heated oven in center and bake for 40-45 mins until a toothpick inserted in center comes clean
- Take the cake out and let in cool in the pan for 15 mins then flip it over a cooling rack and cool until it comes to room temperature.
Slice 1 inch pieces and serve as a snack
- I used birds custard powder that had resulted in a lovely yellow cake, no artificial coloring was used
- The cake tastes great the next day and remains moist. You might find the cake hard in the sides if you cut it when half cooled
- Cake remains fresh for a week in a air-tight container
If you love Marble cakes like me try out my vanilla marble cake HERE