I know some may be thinking isn't it too early for Valentine's Day??? oh come on its just 9 days more... and my brain is super active about it. Being a food blogger it must be so as we have to cook for all the festivals in the calendar and sitting abroad I do get challenged to cook or bake for every other festival that may not be Indian too. Keeping my ramblings aside, I wanted to explore something Indian but yet simple to do as a Valentine's treat.
This Valentine Burfi is a simple to do recipe, that is so quick and might even take less time. And you can be sure that its disaster free :P and anyone can do it. Doesn't require big cooking skills or expertise. You can explore the recipe using your favorite ingredient. Usually burfis are square shaped and this is sure a twist to them and my husband found them very attractive. He simply loved it. So try it and surprise your loved one
Recipe ~ Own
Cook & Prep time ~ 20 mins
Makes ~ 4 large hearts
Maida/ All purpose flour - 1 and 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Dessicated coconut - 1 tbsp (optional)
Ghee - 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Pink food color - 1 tsp
- In a non stick pan on medium heat melt the ghee to this add the Dessicated coconut and roast it until a light brown color to this add maida/ all purpose flour roast the flour until all the ghee is well incorporated. Switch off and transfer to a plate.
- Now wipe the pan clean add the sugar and add water such that it immerses the sugar (careful not to add too much water) bring it to a boil and check for 1 thread consistency (touch the sugar with your fingers and try to pinch it between your thumb and forefinger and if it forms a string then switch off) or in a small bowl of water when the melted sugar is dropped it should form a thread and stay firm. Once this stage is reached switch off.
- Add the roasted flour to the melted sugar, mix well add the cardamom powder and food color keep mixing well until well incorporated
- Keep stirring until it forms thick and still hot, transfer to a greased surface/ plate.
- After 2 minutes cut out into desided shapes, I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Let to completely cool down
- Store in air-tight containers and enjoy them
- I have reduced the amount of sugar, hence its less in sweet. You can add more sugar if you'd like
- Adding cardamom powder is optional you can replace it with vanilla extract too
- You can use your favorite food color too, I had used a liquid food color
- You can add chopped nuts to this recipe
Linking this recipe to Priya Suresh aks Valentine's Day Recipe Event & Indrani's Valentine Treat Event
Do comment below and share your thoughts on your celebration for Valentine's day !!!